Thursday, September 25, 2014

Banned Books

(Take two because the app force closed right before I finished it and erased everything! Ugh…)

So the newest book to be banned is "The Fault in Our Stars" by John Green… really? A school district removed the 3 copies they had from their middle school deeming it inappropriate for children 11 to 13 years of age to read because of a tiny bit of sex, talk of mortality & terminal illness… really? The vote was 6 to 1. I couldn't find where this school was all I found was a Riverside district and Frank Augustus Miller Middle School. 



I loved this book. I cried my eyes out! I was worried that I wouldn't like the movie because movies sometimes stray away from the books they're based on, but the movie didn't stray. I was also worried because I'm not a big fan of Shailene Woodley (The Secret Life of An American Teenager kinda ruined her for me I guess), but she turned out being perfect for Hazel and I cried my eyes out watching this movie just as I did reading the book. 

In my house there will be no banned books. There will be books demanding to be read to share their adventures, love, magic, and heartache. If my daughter someday comes home asking to read a book that's on a banned list I will search high and low until that book is in her possession! 

My husband isn't a big reader, and I hope my love of reading will be passed on to Emma. Books are magical. You can live thousand and thousand of lives and loose yourself in another reality.

 I love my world, but I'm always searching for another one to get lost in. 

No comments:

Post a Comment